Visit Anghiari, a village made famous by a battle
Anghiari, the village of the famous battle painted by Leonardo da Vinci
Anghiari is in the high tuscan Val Tiberina about 25 kilometers from Arezzo. The village was born as a castle during the lombardic age even if its first documentation is from the 1048. During the 11th century, Anghiari became a possession of the Camaldolesi who built here the Badia di San Bartolomeo. After some vicissitude, the village was conquered by Florence in 1440 after the famous Battle of Anghiari.
Visit Anghiari. Things to do in Anghiari
Coming from the strada provinciale, the gateway to the village of Anghiari is the ancient Mercatale (market), piazza Baldaccio. From here a climb (via Trieste) leads us in front of the chiesa di Santa Maria delle Grazie, also known as the Propositura. The church, built in the 18th century, preserves a Giovanni Antonio Sogliano’s Ultima cena (the Last Supper) and some art-works coming from the Della Robbia’s studio.
Piazza del Popolo
Coming out of the Prepositura move to the right to reach Piazza del Popolo, the heart of the medieval town. Here stands the fourteenth-century Palazzo Pretorio (or Palazzo del Vicario), the current Town Hall. The palace is ornated by the coats of arms of several vicars and podestàs sent by the Florentine Government to administer justice. Inside there are traces of frescoes from the 15th century.
On the opposite side of the square, an alley leads to the badia di San Bartolomeo. The church, also called Chiesa di Badia, was built by the camaldolesi monks starting from the 1104. A peculiarity of this church is its asymmetric interior, result of the various changes that have occurred over the centuries.
From the badia a street go down to Piazza Mameli. Here we find Palazzo Taglieschi and Palazzo del Marzocco, the seats respectively of the Museo di Palazzo Taglieschi and the Museo della Battaglia e di Anghiari.
Museo di Palazzo Taglieschi
Palazzo Taglieschi was created combining multiple tower houses of medieval origin. Here is housed the museo statale di Palazzo Taglieschi and displays works of art and architectural elements coming from many buildings and churches of the val Tiberina.
Address: piazza Mameli 16
Opening hours: weekdays 8.30-19.30; sunday ore 9-13. Clored on monday.
Tickets: free access
Museo della Battaglia e di Anghiari
The Museo della Battaglia e di Anghiari talks about the history of Anghiari and its territory through the documents and artifacts from various periods and from various collections. The core of the exhibition is the section devoted to Battle of Anghiari and to the lost art-work on it made by Leonardo da Vinci.
Address: piazza Mameli 1
2 November – 31 March: 9.30-13.00 and 14.30-17.30
1 April – 1 November: 9.30-13.00 and 14.30-18.30
Tickets: regular 4 euro; reduced 3 euro (under 25, over 65, groups etc.); free for under 14, tuirist guide, disabled
Chiesa di Sant’Agostino
On the right of palazzo Taglieschi, we find the chiesa di Sant’Agostino. According to tradition, the origins of the Church would be related to step from Anghiari of Thomas Becket in 1162. The present Church dates from the 13th century although it was modified two centuries later. The Interior is in Baroque style, while the exterior has a sandstone facade opened by a Renaissance portal and by an oculus.
Just outside the original nucleus of the village, starts a long road that bring from Anghiari to Sansepolcro. Along this street stands some nice palaces and also churches such as Santa Croce and Santo Stefano.
How to get to Anghiari
By bus: Suburban line BAAS by Etruria Mobilità that links Arezzo, Anghiari and Sansepolcro.
By car: from Arezzo Strada Statale SS73 and Strada Provinciale SP47 or SP43 and SP47.